11 February 2011

Where grace abounds......

Our final programs consisted of a pastor's seminar (identical to that held in Salem) and a return visit to a Christian run school. The pastors meeting was another challenge as there was a 'power holiday'. as they call it when no electricity was provided in that community for the day. Consequently we had to hire a generator to run all the equipment, lighting, fans etc. which pushed us over budget. This however resulted in another problem? My lap top and projector became 'hot' i.e. electric shocks. It turns out no earth had been provided! This meant we could not use this equipment but this did not prevent us from doing most of the program. Electricity in rural India is quite a challenge! The pastors really were enthusiastic and expressed gratitude for us sharing our messages.

Tuesday saw us spending the whole day at the school, presented with gifts, garlands and a cultural show put on by the children. Both of us spoke to the 250 children and had them laughing as well as explaining biblical truths. Kym then spoke to the staff in the school chapel and was followed by me speaking to the school pastor and some local independent pastors, something that suddenly appeared as an extra item on the agenda!!



The afternoon was a challenge in more ways than one, in that I had been asked to give a gospel message to the parents as I had done in previous years. Up until a few days prior I had nothing prepared and then the Lord gave me quite definitely Psalm 23 and how to introduce him as a shepherd and then to run through this a second time with a specific gospel outreach. Everyone gave me their full attention and I sensed the Spirit really working and became aware of His leading and prompting, everything was just prime for the last part. It is hard to explain what happened next but all of a sudden the principal intervened and prevented me from doing an 'alter call'. I felt my message was convicting hearts and was totally floored by this sudden event that resulted in things being taken out of my hand.


My heart sank, as I knew that many were ready to make a commitment and make a decision to accept Jesus. It's hard to explain but often the Lord shows me specific people during a meeting that later are stood at my feet ready to change their lives, and this was another such occasion. I was asked to say a general prayer and then the principle proceeded to summarise my message and expressed gratitude for speaking.



This was an awkward and difficult ending and I felt the enemy had 'stolen the show' as it were. I cannot tell you how disappointed I was and it took a lot of effort to recover, Kym of course encouraged me by saying they did hear the gospel and that was all important. I later found out that one lady in particular had expressed some fears in her life, which I happened to touch upon in my preaching, and therefore I know God had spoken to her. She I know, was one that had been already highlighted to me during the meeting! I have to trust the Lord would still turn these people towards Him.